Sunday, February 7, 2010

Who, where, what, why, and some how

First, the basics:

34 years old

Female

Living in Greenville, South Carolina

Married since 10/28/00

Nurse since 5/04-I worked one year at a local hospital on their telemetry unit and hated the day shift nurses, so I found a job working with special needs children and their families. It is the perfect job for me!

Oldest of 6 children with ages spread between 34 and 12, only 1 boy out of the bunch. All of us came from the same mom and dad, and no we aren’t catholic, and yes they knew what caused it, lol. I live 600 miles away from them, and miss them all fiercely.

I have dealt with infertility for 5 years and 4 months now. I have an irritable uterus, and they don’t know why I don’t ovulate regularly. I also have a fairly rare double genetic mutation that does not allow my body to process folic acid correctly. One important thing that folic acid does is to keep the blood from creating clots.

I have lost 3 babies to the above mentioned gene mutation between April ‘06 and now. The most recent was on 6/25/09. This was the first baby to make it past 6 1/2 weeks gestation. I had heard the heartbeat 3 times, and was told that everything was going well on my new treatment plan. Unfortunately, the doctors didn’t begin this plan until the end of week 6, and by that time the gestational sac’s blood supply had already clotted. So, even though the baby was able to recieve good blood thanks to blood thinner shots, the sac stopped growing and suffocated my child at 8 weeks and 2 days.

Back to more fun stuff…

I take karate 2 evenings per week. It is American style with a little of this, a little of that all mixed together. I am finishing my green belt, and am ready to get down and dirty with the late evening grappling class.

I just joined a gym with my husband. It’s very nice with upscale equipment, a quiet atmosphere, a tanning bed, a hydrotherapy massage bed, private saunas, and the most beautiful private bathrooms! A gym is where DH and I first started to really get to know each other, so I figured it would be a great place to reconnect after the crazyness of the past several years.

I’m training to run 3 miles as part of my black belt test.

I’m a very amatuer photographer.

I’m a (slightly better than) amatuer cake decorator.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Lisa, I am so sorry for all of your losses. It simply breaks my heart. You know I'm always here for you (and soon I'll be even closer!) if you need anything. Love you!
And BTW, your cakes are more than "slightly better than amatuerish". :-)

A.

Nurse Betty L. Boop said...

Thanks Amy! I appreciate the friendship, but be careful what you offer, you may just have me up there crying on your shoulder before much longer!

Ooooooo, and I'll be able to make Kui-Kui's birthday cakes too :-D